Translator

Friday 6 March 2015

1st Birthday Celebrations at A Vintage Journey


Hi Everyone, This week marks our 1st Birthday Celebration at A Vintage Journey and what a party we are going to have with our lovely followers. The challenge for the following month will be Anything Tim, with amazing prizes donated from the man himself - Mr Tim Holtz and our kind sponsor Countryview Crafts and Anne from our DT. We also have some very exciting news, so do pop over HERE to see all the details and my super talented team mate's projects. You are in for such a treat !

For my DT project my inspiration behind this was our 1st Birthday Celebration at A Vintage Journey. After all a party just wouldn't be a party without a Birthday cake. 

This is a picture heavy post and I have tried to keep the written description to a minimum. If there is anything you would like to know please email me or leave questions in my comments box and I will reply.


My cake is just over 6 inches in diameter with a depth of almost 3 inches. I decided to use Tim's collage Technique for my strip around the cake as I had to put a join in my paper which hid it beautifully only making one visible join using a couple of screw brads and it added strength to my cake.



I find adding paint to lace especially on a 3D project makes it easier to adhere on.


Double layering papers together for added strength.


I now started to construct my cake. Giving this plenty of time to dry I started to work on my embellishments for the top of my cake.


My candle was made from a Sizzix die called Candles. I formed 4 layers together to get my 3D effect.

I added a coat of Beeswax to my candle with a brush then started to add drips from candle wax for a realistic look, rubbing on a little Gilding Wax and Perfect pearls to add shades of light and dark to candle.


I poured some Utee into my Jewellery finding and quickly placed my candle in the centre whilst still hot. Once cooled I glued the Utee onto the metal base as it releases from the metal when cool.


The finished result which I love.


With Tim having a love of game pieces this gave me the inspiration for my Scrabble style letters on top of the cake.


I wanted them to look vibrant  against my white-washed background so I put a layer of Glossy Accents onto them. 


My stars had Alcohol inks dripped on to them. Distress Glitter was added to the perimeter of my cake.


My flower was made from the Sizzix Bigz Tattered Floral die and seed pearls added to the centre. My metal leaves I added a touch of Gilding wax to.


The Happy Birthday banner is a Cheery Lynn die. I added Tim's wishbone.



The base is a Cheery Lynn doily die which I shaded at the edges to mount my finished cake on to.


Once my letters were glued in place I glued my base to the top of my cake and added my final embellishments.

I hope you have enjoyed my post and would love if you have time to leave me a comment.

Julie xx

Shop at Cheery Lynn for :



Shop at Country View Crafts for all Tim products.

32 comments:

  1. What a great project to celebrate such a festive occasion :) That candle turned out amazing!! Of course the rest of the cake is also stunning, but the candle is my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you made AVJ a birthday cake!!! Julie, this is so clever and totally unique! All the details and elements are perfectly executed! That candle and beautiful flowers are awesome! You even added a touch of icing! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most beautiful Vintage cake I have seen. This is beautiful Julie, love the way you made the candle. The colors are so subtle yet the cake stands out! You are so creative. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ! Just Wow !
    Fabulous Julie ! I ADORE ....!
    Happy Birthday to " A Vintage Journey" !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's a b'day party without a cake right! SO glad you thought to bring one Julie! I can't believe you made that candle - I thought you added a little one you purchased somewhere - the beeswax looks wonderful on it - just like dripping wax on a burning candle! a delightful project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great cake for the celebrations Julie, Tim would love this. Those candles are brilliant, they look real enough to light! You have put so much creativity and thought into this piece, it's wonderful xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. a really fun idea and a great make x trace x

    ReplyDelete
  8. How incredibly clever Julie! LOVE the patched paper sides, the lace and glitter edging, that GORGEOUS flower and for me, the piece de resistance, that outstandingly realistic candle!!! Happy Birthday! Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julie this is amazing!! I love vintage and this is just great!
    I missed your latest project so I am admiring them now. Stunning!!
    Lia xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic idea to create a cake for the birthday celebrations Julie - and what a fabulous cake it is!! The way you created the candle is nothing short of amazing, it looks so realistic and your flower is gorgeous! Your 3D creations are always outstanding and this is no exception...

    It has been a privilege working alongside you at AVJ! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woww, this is so fab ...you create wonders with your 3d creations !!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Julie, this is amazing!! Such a fabulous project to celebrate a first birthday! LOVE how your candle turned out, what a lot of work you put into this! Thanks for the wonderful tutorial too! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely brilliant Julie!! You do some wonderful 3D creations and this is right up there! I LOVE that candle,it looks soooo real ;)
    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. So apt Julie!! Brilliantly baked! Even Paul and Mary from bakeoff would love it. Have a lovely weekend. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now isn't this just the most clever and perfect birthday piece for our AVJ celebrations. I just love how you have put this together, your amazing creative ideas and the wonderful effects you achieve. Thanks for everything you do.
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a brilliant idea Julie to make a cake! It truly looks good enough to eat! Love the addition of the candle too, a fab tutorial also!
    Last but not least, it's been great to work together and alongside you on AVJ!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning Julie, sooo very creative, love the fantastic candle, super idea!! Enjoy your weekend! Hugs, Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
  18. I WANT A PIECE OF THIS CAKE!! I LOVE this cake, Julie!! OMG--this is just amazing!! You made this cake out of scratch!! Soooo AWESOME!! (I would have cheated & used a hat box!) LOVE the candle soooo much!! Just such a wonderful, celebratory creation for this 1-Year Birthday of AVJ!! Like I've been telling all of my AVJ CG's, I'm soooo lucky to be here amongst some of the most talented women in the WORLD!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pure genius from start to finish Julie! Every element is just wonderful and your creativity out of this world. Nxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. How clever of you to make an actual birthday cake with the one year candle. Just love it and the way you think.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jaw droopingly amazing... a cake... a box cake...!! You are such a genius!! This is super pretty to boot too!! Great work and you can see all the effort that has gone into this too!!!!
    Hugs
    Georgie xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. You can bake - oops - make me a cake ANY TIME. How in the world... you must have the patience of Job. Wow. The best thing is... you totally made it into a PARTY and CELEBRATION. Your CAKE literally put the icing on the ANNIVERSARY bash. LOVE LOVE LOVE it... LOVE it. j.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Birthday Julie and what a year it has been :-) your cake is fabulous and perfect for the celebrations. The candle is fabulous.....very inspiring. Great to be alongside you at AVJ and here's to our 2nd year

    Hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sorrry for not being around for a while. You've been very busy and there are wonderful things to see. :)
    Congrats to the anniversary, the cake looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow Julie this is simply amazing - you are so talented

    I've just linked mine to this wonderful challenge

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness this is stunning! That candle looks amazing!! Gorgeous! Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave me some comments. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh so wonderfully clever to make a birthday cake !!!! It is fabulous Julie and I love all the wonderful details you have managed to fit in and that candle is just amazing! A fabulous make for our birthday celebration. Jennie x (PS Sorry to be so late visiting - we are finally back from Ireland)

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an absolutely brilliant way to celebrate the birthday, Julie - your cake is magnificent... so clever and so gorgeous! Really sorry for my late visit - but so happy finally to be catching up with the birthday creations.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Brilliant!!!!! Wonderful tutorial, I love your beautiful piece!!! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow Julie!!!! I didn't have time so far to look at this and read your post (as I hate looking quickly and commenting without seeing well..), your idea of cake and the candle are FABULOUS!!! You really master all the techniques, and the way you play with your dies and other stuff and combine them is amazing. Hugs, Coco xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Julie, I don't know where to begin, what an amazing creation! An inspired piece to celebrate AVJ's first birthday and your attention to detail is so incredible. That candle!! To cover it with real wax, complete with drips and drops is brilliant. Thanks so much for sharing your steps and expertise, what a wonderful and inspired birthday cake :O)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am disgracefully late for this celebration - please forgive me! Julie, there are so many fabulous details here -all just so gorgeous and finished with that brilliant candle! Heading on up your blog now!! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I love to read your comments so I know you have stopped by and look forward to visiting your blog.

Julie x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10